IDENTITY VERIFICATION APP
A government grade identity verification B2B App-In-App Solution for Authenteq.
Authenteq is a fully automated identity verification and KYC solution that allows your customers to verify their identity without giving up their privacy.
B2B customers, for example, in finance, age-restricted services or mobility, and car-sharing need a way to securely verify the identity of its users to comply with regulations and protect their assets.
Our challenge was to create a solution that allows our customers to integrate it into their existing product user flows.
Our paramount guideline – don’t disrupt the onboarding process of our customers’ users.
Out of the business requirements, we derived the following design challenges:
- Create a seamless identity verification process that allows user to verify their identity with their smartphone.
- Users should verify their identity with their existing government-issued ID documents (e.g., passport or drivers license
- The solution must comply with the GDPR
The Starting Point
Authenteq’s first app had the technology and legal-driven product design. The communication with the user was functional yet not engaging or delightful. Our goal was to create a more friendly, direct, and less technocratic user experience.
Authenteq’s goal was to help businesses verify their customers’ online identities with technology.
An app-in-app identity verification solution allows businesses to implement it into their existing products to verify their customers’ identities.
Authenteq had an existing iOS and Android with basic functionality, which served as an MVP.
We conducted in-house usability testings to determine the status quo of the acceptance and usability of the current app. We also performed in-house user interviews to identify our users’ needs and mental models around identity and privacy on the internet.
Based on the user research outcome, we created a rapid high fidelity prototype in Figma, which we tested again with a selected user group to eventually validate our designs.
UNDERSTANDING THE PROBLEM
With initial in-house usability tests, we tested the existing product with five users. We recorded the testing sessions with a video camera to assess our users’ physical behavior and reactions.
Most users struggled with:
- The impersonal and too legal system language
- Users experienced guilt because they don’t read the legal texts even though they know they should
- Missing system feedback during processing times
Outcome & Design Decisions
Based on the user interviews and testings, we created the following design principles:
- Reduce legal texts to a minimum—provide an option to read more but make the default with less legal information.
- Use educational illustrations along the process to educate users about how to use the application
- Include a time bar, so users know how long the process will take